Viji Kurup, MD
Viji Kurup, MD, is an anesthesiologist who says taking care of patients when they are at their most vulnerable is an honor.
“It is an awesome responsibility to take the patient through their surgery in the safest possible way. I believe that good anesthetic care addresses the beliefs, fears, and anxieties of the patient and is tailored to them as individuals,” Dr. Kurup says. “I love taking care of patients while they are going through surgery, which is a very stressful part of their journey towards a healthy life. As an anesthesiologist, my goal is to get the patient through their surgery safely and comfortably.”
Dr. Kurup focuses on thoracic and vascular anesthesia. She takes care of adult patients before surgery, including trauma patients.
“I get to meet patients who are strong and have amazing life stories,” she says. “I tell them that during their surgery I will be there watching over them and do what needs to be done to make sure they get through the surgery safely.”
- Vice Chair for Medical Education, Anesthesiology
Education & Training
- Medical Education FellowshipYale (2013)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (2005)
- ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital (2004)
- InternGriffin Hospital (2001)
- ResidentKarnataka Institute of Medical Sciences (1997)
- MDKarnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1994)