We specialize in the comprehensive care of patients with acute surgical emergencies, traumatically injured patients with life-threatening conditions and critically ill surgical patients. Our section combines cutting-edge clinical care with the most advanced research to improve care of critically ill or injured patients. Our surgeons also provide comprehensive post-operative care and critical care for patients at Yale New Haven hospital and transfer patients. We focus on:
- General Surgery for patients undergoing elective or routine surgery, as well as those with emergency surgical conditions. We evaluate patients prior to surgery in outpatient locations, the emergency department or the hospital, depending on the urgency of their condition. We perform general surgical procedures using either minimally invasive techniques when appropriate or more traditional open surgical techniques if required. We always have a senior surgeon available to rapidly attend to critical problems.
- Trauma Care for all trauma patients admitted to Yale New Haven Hospital, the regional Level 1 Trauma Center for Southern Connecticut and the only trauma center in the state to be verified by the American College of Surgeons for both adult and pediatric patients.
- Surgical Critical Care to manage all critically ill surgical patients in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit and the Intermediate Care Unit at Yale New Haven Hospital.
Conditions we commonly treat include:
- Acute and chronic appendicitis
- Acute and chronic biliary disease
- Abdominal wall hernias of all types
- Intestinal disease
- Intestinal fistulas
- Soft tissue infections
- Complex postoperative complications requiring critical management
We harness the latest technologies in emergency and critical care. Our expertise ensures that, whenever possible, our patients experience shorter hospital stays and less postoperative discomfort.